I always have bananas in my freezer. Bananas are so cheap that they’re a mainstary on my grocery list, but they also spoil incredibly fast, so when they’re overripe I place them in a plastic bag and freeze them, peel and all. This way, I’m able to grab a few and mash them to make a quick banana bread loaf, or add one to a smoothie for an easy on-the-go breakfast for my daughters, without having to add unnecessary ice!
My favorite thing to do with frozen bananas, however, is make ice cream! Toss a frozen banana in a food processor, and instantly you have a super healthy snack with a rich and creamy texture but none of the fat, a lot less calories, and there’s even a little fiber and protein in there! It’s a real treat that my kids love.
Sometimes I like to jazz this ‘ice cream’ up a bit, though. After all, bananas are, I believe, one of the most versatile fruits available and go well with SO many different flavors! The following is a recipe for a banana coconut ice cream that will surely please everyone in the family. The Greek yogurt adds a lovely tartness that makes this dessert comparable to one of those fro-yos that are so popular these days.
Banana Coconut Ice Cream
- 1 medium banana, frozen
- 1.5 oz Silk PureCoconut milk (I like the vanilla flavor!)
- 2 tablespoons Fage nonfat Greek yogurt
- Honey to taste
- Optional: granola, berries, nuts for a garnish (I like Safeway Select’s granola clusters!)
- 1. Peel and slice the banana. To peel the frozen banana, I cut off the ends, then make a slit through the middle and remove the peel. Fast, or your fingers will freeze! If you let the banana thaw a little, it’ll basically just slide out of the peel, but then this will affect the texture of your dessert, of course…
- 2. Add the slice banana, coconut milk, and Greek yogurt to the food processor. Drizzle with a little honey, if you’d like.
- 3. Blend until smooth.
- 4. Pour it into a pretty glass, garnish with berries, nuts, granola, or just serve as is… ta-dah! This dessert must be served immediately, as it does not freeze well and melts fast!
June Dairy Month
Did you know that this is Dairy Month? To celebrate, throughout the month Safeway is giving away two movie tickets for every $40 spent on participating dairy products at their stores (or one of their affiliates). That’s where I bought the ingredients for my banana coconut ice cream, along with a few other items including my daughter’s favorite Jello pudding, Klondike bars for my hubby, and a variety of Sargento cheeses. Look for the ‘June Dairy Month’ tag on participating products around the store, and when you check out, be sure to swipe your Safeway Club Card. If you reach the $40 requirement, you’ll automatically get a voucher that you can redeem for your two movie tickets. If not, you can see just how close you are at the bottom of your receipt. The cool thing is that you have the entire month of June to accumulate your $40. I have to go grocery shopping soon, so I may just get my movie tickets this weekend!
Disclosure: I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Safeway, but all opinions are my own. #CBias #SocialFabric #JuneDairyMovies