Heart disease is the #1 killer of women. That’s a fact. With this movement, hopefully we’ll spread the word to millions, encouraging women we care about to protect their heart health and take action.
What can you do to help? Spread the word!
- Join the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) women’s heart health campaign, The Heart Truth, to help spread the message that heart disease is the #1 killer of women. You can follow @TheHeartTruth on Twitter for heart healthy tips, resources, and action steps for heart health, and post your photos and personal stories on their Facebook page.
- Represent! Wear your red dress pin to show your support.
- Share the Healthy Action badge. Become a part of The HeartTruthHealthy Action Community by pledging to take action to reduce your risk of heart disease. Post your Healthy Action Badge on your blog or personal profile page and share with others (like the badge I have in my sidebar).
- Change. Make lifestyle choices to reduce your risk for heart disease.
- Learn CPR. 80 percent of cardiac arrests happen at home; the life you save with CPR could be one of your loved one’s.
- Tell five women you want them to live by telling them how they can fight heart disease. If your five tell five more, you could eventually impact hundreds, if not thousands, of people!
To illustrate my point, watch this video, starring the lovely Betty White. She’s much funnier than I am!
After I post this, I’m going to turn on the TV and watch A Barbara Walters Special: A Matter of Life and Death. Barbara will talk about her experience with heart disease, as well as show interviews with President Clinton, David Letterman, and others who have suffered from heart problems and lived to tell their stories. It’s on ABC at 9pm EST if you want to watch. You can probably catch it online tomorrow.
By the way – I must share some exciting news with you – I was invited to attend The Heart Truth’s Red Dress Collection fashion show at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City on Wednesday!! Next Wednesday, February 9th. What in the world should I wear??I’ve never been to a fashion show, much less one during FASHION WEEK in NEW YORK CITY! More than 20 celebrity participants will walk the runway, showcasing the power of the Red Dress to encourage women to take action to protect their heart health. I’ll have behind-the-scenes access for red carpet interviews, too. Crazy! You can watch the show LIVE online on Wednesday at 7pm at cbsnews.com/hearttruth. Don’t worry… I’ll remind you again that day, and I’ll be sure to give you all the scoop when I come back!
Tomorrow, I’m going to stop by Macy’s to buy a little something. If you shop there sometime this weekend, be sure to wear red, as you’ll get 20% off! If you don’t have anything red, you can buy a Red Dress pin for $2, and receive the discount as well. Or buy it anyway. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to Go Red For Women. If you prefer to shop online, use code WEARRED at checkout.