I took a couple of days off for Thanksgiving, and I come back to find that my blog has been hacked. Again. I couldn’t see anything wrong with it right off the bat, but when I was getting ready to post one of my contributor’s reviews, I saw that there were several additional users registered in my WordPress account as administrators. Names I obviously didn’t recognize. I did a little more searching and found a bunch of (I’m assuming, malicious) code in my theme files and plugins. Sigh. I spent what felt like hours cleaning it all up, backing up files, and updating and installing clean versions of WordPress and my blog theme.
I think I hope I resolved the issue. Things might look a little different around here for now, as I haven’t adjusted my theme yet. Just to be on the safe side, I did install the Bulletproof Security plugin and will do frequent scans with the Exploit Scanner plugin.
What’s funny is that I’m always telling people – “Back up, back up, back up! Keep WordPress updated! Delete plugins you don’t use!” – but do I follow my own advice? Nope. I hadn’t done a full backup since June. I had 11 plugins that needed to be updated, 4 of which were infected, and half of which I didn’t even use anymore. I didn’t have the most current version of WP, and didn’t realize there was a more current version my blog theme as well.
Lesson learned. I’ve set an alarm on my computer to remind me once a month to back up my blog. I’m going to actually pay more attention to WordPress updates, and do them right away. It really only takes a minute or two and will save you so much trouble in the long run!
That said, I did do some online shopping today. These are a few of my favorite deals that I bought into:
- Ruckus Media has all their apps on sale through midnight tonight. $1.99 each. Not only that – with every download, they’ll donate 100% of the proceeds to St. Jude’s. Read more here, but hurry! They have some really great ebook apps like Chuck & Friends, My Little Pony, The Night Before Christmas, and more.
- 4all by jofit has an awesome Cyber Monday sale. Up to 70% off their fitness apparel, plus free shipping! I bought two shirts this morning. Couldn’t help myself! Use code: 4SHIP at checkout, today only.
- Disney Store has PJ Pals and nightshirts for only $8. Awesome deal. Plus, free shipping. Today only! Use code: CYBER.
- Mattel Shop has free shipping all day, plus 20% off the entire site from 6pm to 6am EST (for you night owls).
- Sephora has free shipping with orders over $25, plus they give you free samples and a choice of free gifts. Love it.
- 30% off at 5 brands – Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Piperlime, and Athleta – with code: HUGECYBER.
- Nike Store lets you use multiple promo codes! I got free shipping on my new running shoes with code: SWOOSH (ends December 21st), and 25% off clearance items with code: ADVANTAGE (ends on November 30th). Great deal.