Mmmm, I just made the girls Celestial Chocolate… a heavenly beverage on a chilly Fall day! While it takes a little time to make, this rich and creamy hot chocolate is so much better than that powdered stuff that comes in an envelope. Plus, it makes your house smell yummy! Invite your friends over for a cup… because there’s nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with chocolate… 😉
- Mix the whipped cream with 1 tsp of vanilla and set aside.
- In a saucepan, mix the sugar with the cocoa powder, salt and water.
- Place at medium heat until mixture comes to boil. Then add the low fat chocolate milk and heat through until it comes to a boil again. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- Top with the vanilla whipped cream. Makes six (1 cup) servings.
Nutrition Information: 215 calories; 4 g fat; 3 g saturated fat; 8 g protein; 260 mg calcium
While this is the last recipe I’ll be posting for the Elige Leche (Choose Milk) campaign, our family will continue to choose chocolate milk over other sugary beverages! I’ll leave you with a few facts and figures to think about…
- Milk provides nutrients essential for good health and kids will drink more when it’s flavored.
- The American Heart Association states that “when sugars are added to otherwise nutrient-rich foods, such as sugar sweetened dairy products like flavored milk and yogurt and sugar-sweetened cereals, the quality of children’s and adolescents’ diets improves, and in the case of flavored milks, no adverse effects on weight status were found.” 1
- According to the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, adding a small amount of sugar to nutrient-dense foods such as reduced-fat milk products helps enhance their palatability and improves nutrient intake without contributing excessive calories. 2
- According to 2005 USDA data, 66% of the milk chosen by children in schools is flavored; most (60%) of which is low-fat (1%) or fat-free. 3
- Removing flavored milk from schools has been shown to result in a 62-63 percent reduction in milk consumption by kids in kindergarten through 5th grade, a 50 percent reduction in milk consumption by adolescents in 6th through 8th grades, and a 37 percent reduction in milk consumption in adolescents in 9th through 12th grades. 4
- Milk drinkers, in general, consume more calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and vitamin A than non-milk drinkers. 5
- Flavored milk drinkers have lower intakes of soft drinks compared to those who do not drink flavored milk. 6
- The AAP recommends that children consume three servings of dairy foods daily and that adolescents consume four servings a day to meet calcium recommendations. 7
This recipe is provided by EligeLeche.com, and shared at the Sabroso Saturday link-up, hosted by Latina on a Mission! Follow Bigote de Leche (the famous milk mustache!) on Twitter and Facebook, and in case you missed it, be sure to check out the recipe I posted last week – for an Angel Cake with Chocolate Pecan Sauce.
Disclosure: This is a paid post created in collaboration with Latina on a Mission and Milk Processors Education Program (MilkPEP). All opinions expressed herein are solely my own.
Carolyn G says
YUMMO!! That looks so good and I can use some tonight because it’s going to be so cold!!!
Carolyn G´s last blog post ..And so it begins!
Julie Diaz Asper says
Looks so creamy and perfect for a chat with a good friend. I agree hot chocolate and good friends are a great combo.
Julie Diaz Asper´s last blog post ..Sopa Magica- Green Plaintain with Garlic Chicken Soup
Romina Mamá XXI says
Love the presentation, looks like a gift!! Que rico!!!
Romina Mamá XXI´s last blog post ..Sabroso Saturday Babka de chocolate y nueces-Chocolate Pecan Babka
Seriously yummy! Thanks for sharing!
Brandy´s last blog post ..My Pillow Pets Winner @countrynest
Ann Williams says
I can’t wait to try this. Thanks for posting!
Ummm…. I LOVE this recipe. Hot chocolate is a favorite around my house all year round! Will def try this!
Ann Williams says
Made it for breakfast–yum! Thanks!
Ann Williams´s last blog post ..Review- Featuring Norah Jones
The chocolate looks so good i crave for it right now thank you for sharing the recipe
Cynthia´s last blog post ..Boulder Philharmonic
Celestial chocolate recipe looks yummy. You also took nice pictures. I also have a daycare and will try this recipe for lunch with my daycare babies.
Sandra´s last blog post ..Goldsilverfactor