I’m a member of the ARM & HAMMER Influencer Network and received complimentary product samples to facilitate my review, as well as compensation for my time, but all opinions are my own, as I’ve been a loyal ARM & HAMMER user for years.
It’s finally starting to feel like fall, and I’m LOVING it! The leaves are changing colors, the air is cool and crisp, something delicious is baking in the oven, pumpkins are being carved, and the seeds roasted. It’s my favorite time of the year!
But because we’re dressing in layers due to the cooler weather, I feel like I’m doing more and MORE laundry. At least one load every day, if not 2. It never ends! Sigh…
During the summer, the girls practically lived in sundresses or swimsuits, but now it’s leggings and sweaters and socks and everything else that comes with colder weather. My husband is a contractor and often works outside, so he usually changes clothes twice in one day, too. I just can’t keep up! How do large families do it?
I’m no laundry expert, but here are some tips I try to follow…
- Find a place to put dirty laundry, and use it. The girls have two hampers outside their bedrooms – one for colors and the other for whites – and my husband and I share one. The hampers are always open so dirty clothes can just be tossed in. In the laundry room, I have a 3-compartment rolling rack and every morning I’ll take a mesh basket down filled with the previous days’ laundry, sorting it appropriately. Once one compartment is full, I roll it over and load the washer.
- Treat stains right away. I’ve been called the “laundry queen” by my daughter’s cafeteria monitor, as she’s known to be a really messy eater, but somehow I can get the stain out every time. Chocolate pudding, ketchup, marinara sauce – you name it, it gets on her clothes. The key is to make her take her dirty clothes off the minute she walks in the door, and treat it immediately. Clothing is expensive! I’m not going to let it get ruined. Instead of buying a separate cleaning product, I like to pour detergent, like ARM & HAMMER™ Liquid Detergent, directly onto the stains, rubbing it in, and I’ll let it sit for a while before washing.
- Some things can be used more than once. This is a lesson I’m working on teaching the kids (and the husband). Jeans, sweaters, towels – are all multi-use.
- Always have all the supplies you need on hand and organized. Like toilet paper, I make sure to have enough detergent, and tend to stock up when I find a good coupon or sale. Plenty of mesh baskets to carry the laundry to and fro, and good washer and dryer don’t hurt, either! Keeping everything organized in pretty jars is nice. Here I have three: one with clothespins to hang clothes to dry, another to gather loose change from my husband’s pants (I’m gonna be rich one day!), and a third with the girls’ little lost socks.
- Do something fun while you’re folding. I watch TV, listen to a podcast, or call my mom. It makes the time fly by!
- Involve your family. My kids sort socks while watching TV. My husband does the same. I make my oldest put away her own clothes and my youngest stocks our bathroom closet with towels, which she folded herself.
- Come to terms with the fact that there will ALWAYS be dirty laundry. The hamper may be empty for a while, but not very long, and that’s okay. Be grateful that your family has all those clothes, because a lot of people aren’t so lucky!
Simplify and Save with ARM & HAMMER
As I mentioned above, I use ARM & HAMMER laundry detergent to not only wash our clothes, but to stain treat it as well. The new ARM & HAMMER Ultra Power 4X Liquid Laundry Detergent is ultra-concentrated and packed with two scoops of baking soda, giving you ultimate cleaning strength in a smaller size. It may be a little bottle, but it offers loads of power at a great price! I love that – because it’s concentrated – I’m using less, and the bottle takes up less space in my already cramped laundry room!
I also have ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda in my laundry room in that handy dispenser above. It works great as a laundry detergent booster. Just sprinkle a 1/2 cup of baking soda to your wash with the usual amount of liquid detergent. It’ll help maintain the optimal pH balance necessary for detergents to work well.
If you happen to leave towels in the washer too long and they develop that yucky musty smell, add a 1/2 cup of ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda to the rinse cycle to neutralize the odors, leaving your laundry smelling fresh and clean, as is illustrated in this video:
Another clever tip my mama taught me: sprinkle a little baking soda into the hamper to keep it smelling fresh in between loads! Woo!
As you can see, ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda is a natural, safe, effective, and affordable product that can be used in hundreds of ways in and around the home. Countless uses for just pennies a day!
Visit ARM & HAMMER’s website to learn more about ARM & HAMMER products, including where to buy them. Be sure to sign up for the ARM & HAMMER Savings Center to get coupons and connect on Facebook at facebook.com/armandhammer.
YOUR TURN: When it comes to your laundry routine, how do you simplify and save?