I just finished watching yesterday’s Oprah. Thank goodness I have a DVR so I can fast-forward to the good part – Harry Connick, Jr singing a medley of songs from his new release, Your Songs. One2One Network sent me the album earlier this week for review, but I always like seeing the artist sing his songs live, you know?
Your Songs is completely different from Harry’s past albums in that while he usually writes most of his songs, this is a collection of covers; songs made famous by music’s biggest legends – Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, Tony Bennett, and more. Harry did write the arrangements himself, though, and invited jazz greats Branford and Wynton Marsalis to play on the album. He teamed up with renowned music producer Clive Davis, who picked the majority of the songs.
This 50-minute album is the epitome of easy-listening, with songs that everybody knows, including (and originally performed by):
- All The Way (Frank Sinatra)
- Just The Way You Are (Billy Joel)
- Can’t Help Falling In Love With You (Elvis Presley)
- And I Love Her (The Beatles)
- (They Long To Be) Close To You (The Carpenters)
- Besame Mucho
- The Way You Look Tonight
- First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Roberta Flack)
- Your Song (Elton John)
- Some Enchanted Evening
- And I Love You So (Don McLean)
- Who Can I Turn To? (Tony Bennett)
- Smile (Charlie Chaplin)
- Mona Lisa (Nat King Cole)
I hadn’t heard much from Harry Connick, Jr prior to listening to Your Songs so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I did enjoy most of the tracks. My favorite is probably “They Long To Be Close To You,” which is one of the songs he performed on Oprah. I also really like the first track, “All The Way” and his version of The Beatles’ “And I Love Her.” My least favorite is “Smile” because I love the original so much and Harry’s take on it seems a little blah.
Are any of you Harry Connick, Jr fans? One lucky reader will win a copy of Your Songs! To enter, please leave a comment telling me what you like about Harry.
For extra entries:
- Blog about this giveaway, linking back to this post.
- Subscribe to my feed (or let me know if you already do).
- Follow me on Twitter (@OhMariana) and tweet about this giveaway: I just entered to win the new Harry Connick, Jr album from @ohMariana! Your Songs – http://bit.ly/4AoxaB
- Grab my button (at the bottom of the page) and link to me in your sidebar or blog roll.
- Become a fan of Riding With No Hands on Facebook (or tell me if you are already!)
Contest ends: October 11th, 2009 11:59 pm EST. US entries only. Leave a separate comment for each entry & a valid email address/blog URL. Winner, chosen at random, has 3 days to claim their prize.
Oh! And if you missed him on Oprah yesterday, he’ll be appearing on other shows to talk about Your Songs and perform songs from the album.
- 9/28 – Today Show
- 9/29 – The View
- 9/30 – Imus in the Morning
- 9/30 – Letterman
- 10/1 – Today Show
- Week of 10/5 – Rachael Ray
One2One Network provided me with a complimentary copy of Your Songs for review and another for a contest prize.