I like to think I keep my home tidy and organized, but if you look deep down and start opening cabinets and drawers, that’s really not the case. I’m just good at putting stuff away! I’ve used Rubbermaid products for years, and reviewed their Easy Find Lid System last year, so it’s a brand I know well. Rubbermaid invited me to join in their Quick Organizational Challenge: The Junk Drawer, and I obliged. They sent me one of their new drawer organizers to help with the task. The question was… which drawer would I tackle first?
We have a console table in our living room with two drawers. To keep things organized, I designated one for my husband and one for me, thinking this would make it easier to keep our stuff separate. I like to touch up my makeup at the mirror there before we go out, for instance, and it didn’t make sense to have these things mixed up with the old receipts and odd nuts and bolts that he finds when he empties his pockets (he’s a contractor). So I decided to organize my drawer. This is what it looked like before:
- Empty. The first step was to empty out the drawer and clean it.
- Sort. I made piles… what to keep, what didn’t belong, what to give away, and what to throw away. I probably tossed about half of the junk I had in the drawer!
- Set up. The six pieces interlock with one another, making it easy to customize. Like a puzzle, I just had to move the pieces around to fit the drawer perfectly. The interlocking feature also ensures that the drawer organizers stay together when I open and close the drawer and reduces the chance of small objects following through cracks and becoming lost.
- Containerize! I put all the items that I decided to keep into the Rubbermaid drawer organizers, and even decided to start putting my mail in there as well.
- And this is what it looks like now…
I like that I can see everything at a glance when I open the drawer, and because it has a rubberized bottom, the pieces don’t crash back and forth inside the drawer as it’s opened and closed. I’ll have to make a point to check the drawer every few weeks because I know organization is an ongoing process!
While we all have a junk drawer – and Rubbermaid has good tips for organizing yours – these organizers are great for organizing any drawer in your home. Like a silverware, office, makeup, or craft drawer, for instance. The 6 piece set can be purchased wherever Rubbermaid products are sold. You can check their website – www.rubbermaid.com – for a store near you. Also, don’t forget to print a coupon for $1 off.
Rubbermaid would like to give one of my readers the exact same set that I reviewed above. To enter to win, leave a comment here telling me something you learned.
For extra entries:
- Subscribe to my feed by feed reader or email (or let me know if you already do).
- Follow me on Twitter (@OhMariana) and tweet about this giveaway (one time): Giveaway! Win a Rubbermaid drawer organizer from @ohMariana! http://tiny.cc/junkdrawer675
- Grab my button (at the bottom of the page) and link to me in your sidebar or blog roll.
Rubbermaid provided me with a product sample for review purposes, and another as a giveaway prize, at no cost to me. Contest ends March 18th, 2010, at 11:59 pm EST. US entries only. One person per household may enter. Leave a separate comment for each entry & a valid email address. Winner, chosen at random, has 3 days to claim their prize.