I don’t bake in the summer. It just doesn’t make sense, since the oven makes the kitchen so hot! Instead of the usual cake, muffins, and cookies that I make so often in the wintertime, during these hot months we’ll usually stick to fresh fruit (watermelon!), ice pops, and ice cream for dessert.
That’s not to say I won’t take some shortcuts here and there so we can have our cake and eat it, too! Take this Tres Leches cake, for example. It’s completely no-bake because I made it using a store-bought pound cake. Easy-peasy and delicious! A popular cake in Latin America, Tres Leches means “three milks,” which is exactly what goes into it – condensed milk, evaporated milk, and cream. For this recipe, I substituted the heavy cream for International Delight Iced Coffee that I picked up at Walmart, to give it a light coffee taste and cut a few calories while still leaving us with a decadent dessert. Coffee and cake compliment each other so well, don’t you think?
Recipe: Semi-homemade Tres Leches Cake
- 1 pound cake
- 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup International Delight Iced Coffee, vanilla flavor
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Cut the top and sides off the pound cake to make it an even rectangle, then slice it in half lengthwise.
- In a bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, evaporated milk, and International Delight Iced Coffee. Pour a little of this mixture into a loaf pan.
- Place one of the pound cake slices in the pan, and with the tines of a fork, poke holes in it.
- Slowly pour the milk/coffee mixture over the cake, giving it time to soak it all up. Place the second slice of pound cake atop the first, and repeat the pouring.
- While you can certainly dig in right away, this cake is best if refrigerated for a few hours, or overnight to allow it to fully absorb all the liquid.
- Spread an even layer of whipped cream onto the cake before serving.
- Top with fruit, chocolate shavings, toasted coconut, or just serve as is.
All three flavors of International Delight Iced Coffee – Original, Vanilla, and Mocha, can be found at at Walmart and other retailers. Check out the product locator at internationaldelight.com to find stores near you. For more #IcedDelight, you can also follow International Delight on Twitter and Facebook. Don’t forget to enter the Summer Sweeps!
Disclosure: I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and International Delight #IcedDelight #CBias #SocialFabric.